Wycinanki are traditional Polish paper cut-outs. The elements found within the cut-outs, as well as the colors used, vary by region, and are a rural invention used for relaxation.
These cut-outs were usually used to decorate the home, particularly (but not exclusively) during holidays such as Christmas and Easter. Sometimes, they were even given as gifts to friends or visitors.
Roosters, stars, and peacocks are among the most popular imagery used in Wycinanki. The paper cut-outs have become so popular, there are now competitions in Poland dedicated to the art form.
Have a look at some great examples of Wycinanki:
- Wycinanki socks (type 1, type 2, type 3, type 4, type 5, type 6)
- Polish Wycinanki Designs book
- Wycinanki blown-glass ball ornaments (ornament 1, ornament 2, ornament 3, ornament 4)
- Wycinanki playing cards
- Wycinanki patch or stickers (sticker 1, sticker 2)
- Wycinanki mugs (mug 1, mug 2, mug 3)
- or even Wycinanki coasters!